Tuesday, January 8, 2013

If you liked The Secret Circle, then read Marked by PC & Kristin Cast


So you’re heartbroken or at the very least disappointed in the short lived TV adaption of LJ Smith’s The Secret Circle. Whether you were just pining after a witchy show after Charmed left the air waves or you were looking for a nice companion piece for The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle looked like a show that could successfully scratch that itch for you.
Unfortunately though it was not to be and the show was ended after a slow start. What can we do now with all those unresolved feelings? Let me suggest taking a look at a series I have come to love.


Title: Marked
Series: House of Night Series
Published by Atom 
Release Date: 15 Jan 2009
ISBN 1905654316

When sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird gets Marked as a fledgling vampire she must join the House of Night school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change. But Zoe is no ordinary fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the Goddess Nyx and discovers her amazing new power to conjure the elements: earth, air, fire, water and spirit.
When Zoey discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look within herself to embrace her destiny - with a little help from her new vampire friends.

- Not suitable for younger readers -

I suggest the House of Night series by PC & Kristin Cast because it takes all the things hinted at by The Secret Circle, the use of magic, high school and all the attendant drama and some interesting good and evil stuff. There is also a more mature tone that pervades both TSC as a TV series and the books of the House of Night series they are both not suitable for young teenagers there is frank scenes of sex and adult language as well as discussion around those subjects and more.

I can see what you are thinking with my keen intellect. “Vampires? Not more vampires” These are not similar to any vampires you have seen before and are a lot more similar to the witches of The Chance Harbor than say the vampires of Mystic Falls. There is a lot of discussion of how magic works and is connected to the world as a whole and these sorts of themes were at least hinted at in The Secret Circle before it was cancelled.

So take a leap of faith and check out Marked the first in the House of Night Series.

5 comments:

  1. I have never watched this show ,but Marked looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Secret circle. I for one think the CW network made a big mistake cancelling it. It was amazing and I also love House of night series.Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mainly because I missed it too even though I absolutely hates the first half of the season it just somehow grew on me that and the torrid love triangle in my head between me Diana and Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you just title your post that? Seriously? How did you know I missed it!? And when it was getting so good!!! So many possibilities. They are books though so I can read those but I will watch out for these too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked the suggestions of Shaft :D

    ReplyDelete

Disqus