Tuesday, January 10, 2012

{Review} Wither by Lauren DeStefano


Series: The Chemical Garden #1
Publication Date: March 22, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
ISBN-13: 9781442409057


Synopsis
Human society has changed, something went wrong and now the children of our children are paying the price. In the future the longevity of the race has been reduced, man live up to the age of 25 and woman can live up to 20. 
In this new world there are still some left that can grow old, they are called the first generation, and they are torn apart, some of them think we should just accept our faith and disappear while others say we must keep going.
Those who think that we should keep going have resorted into kidnapping girls, selling them so that they can get married into polygamous marriages. Rhine is one of the girls victims of this crime, but instead of bowing down and serving the breeding farm mentality she refuses to give up, she wishes nothing more in the world then to be free, even if she must die trying she will find a way to run way from the pretty prison she is being held on.

Review
This book had me weary at first, so I couldn't make an emotional connection at first, but little by little my guard went down and suddenly I was stroked with heartbreak, I didn't know that I was rooting for Rhine, or that I held hope for her dreams to come true, I believe it was one of the most beautiful heartbreaks I've ever experienced.
This is a book that I feel brings redemption to the soul by the single fact that it's trying to find happiness, even though we know that sometimes happy endings never come.
I can't find anything that I didn't like in this book or that felt out of place, the characters, the story, the plot, the way it all flowed and melted together makes this book one more for my favorites shelve.
Highly recommended.

Rating: 10 out of 10

3 comments:

  1. New follower via book blogs, thought I would say hi! Trev @ trevsliteraryreview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lil,
    I've just started this book. I hope i will make this connection too and enjoy my reading as you seem to have done with yours.
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucie,
    I really hope you enjoy it! Please tell me what you think of Whiter once you are done :)

    ReplyDelete

Disqus